The Morris Plains Library is an association library run by the Morris Plains Library Association. The Library has a collection of over 20,000 titles. Our library has a growing section of large print books, as well as books on CD. We also have over 200 titles in the Family Resource Collection, donated by the Morris Plains Municipal Alliance Committee.
The oldest section of the Morris Plains Library building is a house built by Ebenezer Stiles before 1778. When Ebenezer died in 1778, it was deeded to his son, Lewis B. Stiles, who moved a house that he had built circa 1824-5 and joined it to the original building. In 1867, Jonathan W. Roberts and Mary King Roberts purchased the home and named it “Glenbrook.” It may have been used as a library even during their lifetimes. After Mary’s death, Jonathan asked his niece Althea E. Hatch to move in to care for him. Upon Jonathan’s death the home passed to Althea Hatch, who later married Judge Willard W. Cutler. In 1953 Mrs. Cutler deeded Glenbrook as well as a portion of the land now known as Roberts Garden to the Morris Plains Library Association. Several additions have been made to the building over the years, the most recent being our front porch addition in 2016.
Library Hours and Closings
The Library is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10-7, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10-5 and Saturday from 10-2.
The Morris Plains Library is located at 77 Glenbrook Road.
The Morris Plains Library is an association library run by the Morris Plains Library Association. The members of the Morris Plains Library Board of Trustees are:
Jo Ann Bates
Jack Van Orden
Susan Vigilante Williams